Monday, April 21, 2014

Oui, il faut aimer les lundis :)

Hi mom! Thanks for the email! Crazy that McKenna is getting married. Awesome for Remington, and nice job Levi and Ethan... :) Thanks too for the email Dad!

In Tahiti, Easter usually means lots of nothing. Haha, no work, no open stores, no school, and EVERYBODY on the beach. We passed a dude in the ocean, on a lawn chair, with Hinano (Tahitian beer) in his hand. Typical, awesome local Tahitian vacation. Stereotypical island dude, no shirt no shoes, no... not sure what he has on. :P I love it here. They do eat fish though. Special days or holidays are usually times when you see the special fish. Mahimahi is EXCELLENT. So is Marlin, and Tuna, and and and :P Even getting used to Crab Nems (viatnemeese egg rolls) We have seen LOADS of tourists lately though because of Easter. They come to surf usually. The waves are begining to get bigger and by august, they will have the Billabong pro. Hope I'm here for that. That'd make a nice sticker for the collection :P Either way, I love this sector.

This week went well. I did an all day companion exchange for the first time, and it went great. We're supposed to do them with each Elder at least once per transfer. I liked it, but was stressed out because I did all the driving while elder Clark went to the other sector. It went good (as usual, worrying only makes it worse, and never is merited) and I got to know elder Sandstrom better. He got trained by Elder Petis too, and is a super nice guy. Just had a good productive exchange. I even did ok driving stick. Still getting used to that. Yesterday we had our stake conference, and Saturday we had a priesthood session, and a missionary work session. The WMLs and the Ward missionaries, and the bishops came, and stake president said things that I have been waiting to hear. SO GOOD! He helped us a lot and brought up the statistical reports to show bishops what their ward is and isnt doing as far as the Area presidency's expectations. Super good! Our stake president is probably the best orator i have ever met. I would like to be able to teach like him. He is SO powerful, and only eight years older than me. That's just crazy. He got called at 26, but is honestly the most mature guy in the room of 2000 members, minus maybe the patriarchs. He always has the spirit with him. I am sure that he is a ''typical'' stake president, but I never noticed how good at teaching other presidents are. Excited to learn from President Bize in 9 weeks, and from President Barfuss when I get home. It must be weird to be the prophet. All the other dudes, even the stake presidents, and the 70's learn from their priesthood authority, but he learns from a much much more powerful source. No mission president at whom one can field stupid questions, haha.

Today our whole zone did a sports Pday activity at the stake center because there was no choir practice! We had fun, and made our own sandwiches. I really love the missionaries in my zone, and want the best for them. We played soccer, bball, and ate. Simple, typical elder lead activity. I also studied a bit about Stephen. He is my favorite. I have read and reread his story dozens of times on my mission. If I could meet one person in the bible (apart from Jesus, duh; and maybe Enoch) I think it might be Stephen. He was just a normal guy, who was filled with the spirt and carried his testimony with power. His conviction and his authority lead him to pierce the hearts of those around him, and they could NOT deny the witness. I think of elder Calister when I think of him. Just SO cool! His story is also essential, because it shows that the apostles could confer the priesthood and its keys to just men. He received it by the laying on of hands, as did the other seven, and through him, Jesus's promise to the apostles is realized (Luke 21 i think). Just an awesome guy. When Elder Calsiter talked to the missionaries he taught with the same zeal, the same power. It was different from Elder Nelson. His talk was SO GOOD and was deeply spiritual too, but Elder Calisters was about SIMPLE gospel truths, and when he talked about them, the spirit was so strong. It was a strong learning experience for me. Elder Nelson showed us cool scriptures in French and English, talking about the accuracy of the french bible, and shared cool profound doctrines, but Elder Calister was just simple like Stephen. Just cool. Elder Nelson's apostolic blessing and witness was different too. I don't think I will forget that ever. That day was just like a bday present from Heavenly Father. So good.

I love you guys so much! Thanks for all the love and support! I miss you, but I am doing ok here. I love the people and the area, and I am getting more and more used to being a missionary. I love my mission and just want to do my best, and make a difference. Thank you for the prayers for my investigators. Needing for invite some more new investigators for baptism this week. I hope and pray that goes well; not for numbers, but because they need it, and Heavenly Father loves them.

Dad, keep it up with the quorum. I didn't understand or participate in missionary work very well in my aaronic priesthood quorums. Wish I would have done some, but looking at our ward boundaries, missionary work is SO different here than at home. I had 2 non member friends, not 2 member friends. I hope to be an engaged member no matter what the 'field' looks like at home. Its always white for those who show up to harvest.

I really love that King of Dreams movie. That and the Prince of Egypt one have done wonders for helping people understand what a prophet is here. I just ask, 'As-tu vu le prince d'Egypt?' Helps lots of kids too. When people get that Joseph Smith was like Moses and Noah (hey there is a movie about him?) it clicks.

I love you tons Dad! Thanks for helping me, and showing a good example. I love D&C 131:6, goes along with your lesson too.

Oh and for Mother's day, I plan on skyping again (free, and approved). I will still call the sherry.awesome.mom one, and it will probably be either the afternoon or night here, like it was for Christmas. Either way, if someone mans the computer after church Sunday, they can get a call. Ill know more probably next week.

SO that is one long letter. Took about 30 min, wow. Whoops, kinda rambled.

I LOVE YOU ALL!!!!!! Have a good week!

Orometua Larsen

Oh and last PS, could you send some family history stories? At least some names, like Caleb, and grandpa Egbert? Family history is a huge thing here, and I think that some stories would be good to share members and amis. They cant believe that my ancestors are pioneers, like REAL pioneers. Kinda cool :)
First vision-esque sunbeams! or shall I say 'maramarama' (in Tahitian) Serious Garden of  Eden foliage.

No comments:

Post a Comment